Local governments across America are dealing with an escalating affordable housing crisis. Locally, the Volusia County Council is tackling the complex issue with an ambitious initiative that will involve local governments, local agencies and individuals.
Volusia County Combatting Affordable Housing Crisis
First up is a series of webinars from noon to 1:30 p.m. every Friday in July that will address the causes and potential solutions.
- Prosperity: The case for prosperity and the role of affordable housing: July 2,
- Produce: Affordable housing funding mechanism: July 9,
- Preserve: Maintaining existing affordable housing: July 16,
- Policy: Coordinated planning to promote homes for all incomes: July 23,
- Progress: Plans in action and success stories from the field: July 30.
The public is invited to attend, participate and provide comments during the webinars. Registration is available at www.volusia.org/affordable-housing-summit.
Additionally, an Affordable Housing Summit will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Aug. 27, at the Ocean Center, 101 N. Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach. Registration will open in mid-July.
Work groups will establish a county-wide action plan by December.