Volusia County Mosquito Control will hold two tire amnesty events:
- 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, April 9, at Osteen Road and Bridge, 200 State Road 415
- 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, April 10, at Volusia County Mosquito Control, 801 South St., New Smyrna Beach
Only residential tires will be accepted, and there is a limit of 20 tires per person. There is no cost to drop off tires.
Volusia County employees continue to practice social distancing and are required to wear masks when working within close contact of others.
In addition to disposing of old tires, the most important steps residents can take to help fight the bite include tipping containers at least weekly to remove standing water, tossing containers not in use, and wearing mosquito repellent to avoid mosquito bites.
Additional tips to prevent mosquito bites include:
- toss bottles, cans, pots and broken appliances;
- turn over empty pots and buckets;
- replace water in birdbaths and pet dishes at least once a week;
- don’t overwater the lawn;
- clean out eaves, troughs and gutters;
- drain water from boats and tarps;
- maintain the proper chemistry in swimming pools;
- empty plastic pools when not in use.
For more information, call 386-424-2920. To learn more about mosquito control or submit a request for service, visit: Volusia.org/Mosquito