In an effort to support critical summer childcare needs, the city will be offering a modified version of Summer Connections Camp beginning June 8, 2020. Participants will be divided into smaller groups and divided between the South Ormond Neighborhood Center and the Nova Community Center to limit person-to-person interactions and group size.
Camp participation will be limited to 45 participants at each site, with children ages 6 to 12 years old.
• Participating children will have their temperatures taken each morning before entering camp, and will be asked routine health questions. A COVID-19 related release form will need to be signed by a parent of each child.
• Children registering temperatures of 100 degrees or above will not be permitted to sign-in and cannot return to camp until they have been without a fever for 72 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication (as recommended by the CDC).
• If a camp participant develops flu-related or COVID-19 related symptoms during camp, they will be isolated and asked to be picked up immediately. An ill child cannot return to camp until they are symptom-free for 72 hours without the aid of medicine and must provide a doctor’s note.
• Staff members will be assigned to one group of participants for the duration of camp. There will be one counselor per nine children. Each counselor will have a substitute counselor to meet CDC guidelines.
• Camp groups will not intermingle with other groups.
• Staff members will wear protective face masks while indoors. Staff will have personal discretion regarding wearing masks outdoors.
• Each camp participant will have their own art supplies to use to limit sharing.
• Camps will utilize outdoor play during appropriate weather conditions as much as possible.
• Camps will increase cleaning and sanitizing practices; hand sanitizing stations will be provided and hand washing times will be designated. All campers are expected to practice proper hand washing techniques.
• The number of individuals inside the recreation centers will be limited by implementing a drive-through pick-up and drop-off procedure. Only campers and staff will be entering the facilities. As always, proper identification will be required at pick-up.
• There will be no field trips in this year’s summer camps.
• During meal and snack time, camp participants will eat in their designated group classrooms or outdoors.
Registration is currently open and can be arranged by calling 386-676-3250 or visiting the Leisure Services Office at 399 N. US-1.
Additional camps, including Enviro Camp and Camp T-Rec will not be held this summer so that facilities and resources can be dedicated to providing the Summer Connections Camp with adequate social distancing and preventative measures in place. Online activities specifically designed for special populations and programs that would typically be held at the Environmental Discovery Center will continue virtually throughout the summer.