Art is completely therapeutic. It is a way to express yourself without even having to use words and can help your mind escape from everything else that’s around you.
Art is used to communicate all sorts of things like political or philosophical ideas and can even help open people’s minds to new things. In school, I am learning that the elements of art are known as the following: form, space, value, line, color and texture. The principles of art are: unity, proportion, pattern, movement, contrast, balance, variety and harmony.
Art can even help strengthen your focus. Being able to draw something you’re satisfied with, and proud of, takes a lot of practice and attention. Another benefit of practicing your art skills is it can help develop strong hand-eye coordination, which is literally used for everything you do in life.
Art can even help me express my feelings. When I’m upset, or not feeling myself, I love to get creative and see where my pencil takes me. My favorite thing to draw is eyes. Looking into someone’s eyes can tell you a lot about a person.
If you’ve ever been to an art museum or just look at art you can feel something when you’re looking at it. It can actually tell you a story if you stare at it long enough.
To me, art is so important to have in my daily life. It drives me to become better the more I draw and create. Art has a big impact on my mood and, all-in-all, is so spirit lifting.
Shakka Shakka Brahda!
~ Marley Scott
Read more from East Coast Current’s youngest columnist here!
- Right Coast Wahine: Skateboarding
- Right Coast Wahine: Mixed Martial Arts
- Right Coast Wahine: Evacuation Vacation
- Right Coast Wahine: Summer Travels
- Right Coast Wahine: Wakeskating
- Right Coast Wahine: Four-Wheeling
- Right Coast Wahine: Horseback Riding
- Right Coast Wahine: Acting
- Right Coast Wahine: Boating
- Right Coast Wahine: Snowboarding
- Right Coast Wahine: The Joy of Music
- Right Coast Wahine: Happy New Year!
- Right Coast Wahine: Back to School
8 thoughts on “Right Coast Wahine: Art”