Summer has finally come to an end and a new adventure has begun. Yes, school’s back in session! I’m finally a freshman (what, what!) and that means no more Florida Virtual School online, I’m back to public school!
I’ve only been in school for a month and it’s so much different from homeschooling. For one, public school isn’t as much typing and computer activities as online was and in public school I have other people to talk to if I need help and it’s not just me and my parents.
Yes, I may prefer public school, but homeschooling or online school has so much to offer as well. You can take as many classes as you want and it’s all at your pace so you’re not rushed. It’s incredibly flexible so if you maybe want to go surfing for the morning you can finish your assignments later or get them done quickly. Not that I’ve ever done that!
For me personally, I think I learn better in a real school. When everything is my pace like online school I tend to find myself slacking. In public school, everything is graded and has to be on time and it makes me have to be more on point – which is good for me. I also love the aspect that now if I don’t know something, I can ask my teacher who’s right in front of me or a friend.
To me, school is so much fun! I get to learn and see my friends all day. This year, for my electives I chose Spanish, dance and theater! I’m trying to make the most out of my high school experience doing all the things I enjoy the most! Too bad there wasn’t a surfing class I could take!
Shakka Shakka Brahda!
~ Marley Scott
Read more from East Coast Current’s youngest columnist here!
- Right Coast Wahine: Art
- Right Coast Wahine: Skateboarding
- Right Coast Wahine: Mixed Martial Arts
- Right Coast Wahine: Evacuation Vacation
- Right Coast Wahine: Summer Travels
- Right Coast Wahine: Wakeskating
- Right Coast Wahine: Four-Wheeling
- Right Coast Wahine: Horseback Riding
- Right Coast Wahine: Acting
- Right Coast Wahine: Boating
- Right Coast Wahine: Snowboarding
- Right Coast Wahine: The Joy of Music
- Right Coast Wahine: Happy New Year!