Summer is finally here – whoop, whoop! These past few weeks, the ocean has turned into a big lake. Barely any waves to surf, so in my free time when I’m not at fight class or swimming in the ocean, I’ve had the chance to take out the boat and work on my wakeskating skills.
Wakeskating is similar to surfing and skating, but also very different. Instead of being on concrete or riding a wave, wakeskating is all behind a boat or hooked up to a jig. The different muscles you use when compared to surfing and skating is crazy! You wake up the next morning sore in places you’ve never been sore before!
For me, the hardest part about wakeskating is trying not to slide. When I’m behind the boat, I’m constantly trying to throw sprays or do little butter slides and I have to keep in mind that it’s not surfing. Sometimes, if I push the board too hard, I end up wiping out!
I’m not out behind the boat that often, so it’s been a really fun week just getting out there and tearing it up! I watched my dad wakeboard for the first time and it was so sick to watch him throw airs! I felt so inspired to continue practicing and getting better.
I’m so pumped for this summer. Hopefully, I can get behind the boat and get some more wakeskating in! It’s such a fun and enjoyable sport. I definitely recommend trying it if you’re at all interested in watersports or even anything to do with a board! And remember you might not get it the first time but practice makes perfect.
Shakka Shakka Brahda!
~ Marley Scott
Read more from East Coast Current’s youngest columnist here!
- Right Coast Wahine: Art
- Right Coast Wahine: Skateboarding
- Right Coast Wahine: Mixed Martial Arts
- Right Coast Wahine: Evacuation Vacation
- Right Coast Wahine: Summer Travels
- Right Coast Wahine: Four-Wheeling
- Right Coast Wahine: Horseback Riding
- Right Coast Wahine: Acting
- Right Coast Wahine: Boating
- Right Coast Wahine: Snowboarding
- Right Coast Wahine: The Joy of Music
- Right Coast Wahine: Happy New Year!
- Right Coast Wahine: Back to School