This month I decided to try something a little out of my element. Instead of packing up my surfboard and putting on my bathing suit, I grabbed my jeans and Adidas, and for the first time in four years, went horseback riding. I had an amazing time and here’s my adventure.
When we first arrived at the horse stalls we had to sign in and pay, then we waited excitedly for our horses to get ready for us to ride. I have to admit that the first time I saw my horse it was a little bit intimidating since he stood two feet taller than me!
Just getting on my horse for the first time was so challenging. It was crazy how high up you are. Our instructor first taught us the basics, like how to stop and how to turn left and right. It’s just a matter of how you pull the reins. Then, in a matter of no time, we were riding.
It started off with us just walking through this long open field and then we hit the woods. This is when we were able to pick up speed and start trotting, which felt like I was on a bumpy road. My favorite part of the ride was when we started galloping. Especially since it’s a little smoother than trotting.
The biggest challenge of horseback riding for me was just trying to figure out how to flow with the horse. When you’re trotting or galloping, it’s better to move with the horse than fight it! Just like a wave.
If you’re interested in horseback riding, there are tons of places around that will train and teach you. I recommend trying it! Hopefully, one day soon I can ride again!
Shakka Shakka Brahda!
~ Marley Scott
Read more from East Coast Current’s youngest columnist here!
- Right Coast Wahine: Art
- Right Coast Wahine: Skateboarding
- Right Coast Wahine: Mixed Martial Arts
- Right Coast Wahine: Evacuation Vacation
- Right Coast Wahine: Summer Travels
- Right Coast Wahine: Wakeskating
- Right Coast Wahine: Four-Wheeling
- Right Coast Wahine: Acting
- Right Coast Wahine: Boating
- Right Coast Wahine: Snowboarding
- Right Coast Wahine: The Joy of Music
- Right Coast Wahine: Happy New Year!
- Right Coast Wahine: Back to School